“New year, new me!” I said jokingly as I rang in the new year. And like most people, my New Year’s Resolution/s fell by the wayside around February, maybe even the end of January if I’m being honest. One resolution that I made was to write out at least three experiences or thoughts that made me smile that day. My mantra for 2019 is “prioritize self-care” and journaling and positive self-talk is a part of me taking care of me.
I haven’t been writing down my daily joys. BUM-MER! I have, however, still been taking care of myself and my mental health in three ways: 1. Initiating therapy sessions, 2. Surrounding myself with positive people, and 3. Listening and viewing uplifting audio(books & podcasts) and images. In my pursuit of happiness, I rediscovered and discovered Stacey Flowers and Mattie James, respectively. I first started listening to Stacey Flowers around 2014 up until her year-long, self-love sabbatical in 2017. In February, I began listening to her again.
During The Stacey Flowers Morning Show, Stacey mentioned Mattie James as someone who is a force in the blogging industry. I am working diligently to grow my blog so of course I looked up Mattie James RIGHT. AWAY.! While listening to both Stacey and Mattie, I began to notice a lot of similarities between their best practices. Although their messages and deliveries are vastly different, a lot about what they say about happiness, success, and gratitude is similar. One nugget of advice that they both offered up was to carve out some time and dedicate it to being thankful and gracious. Their methods for doing this differ, but powerful nonetheless.
As a result, I began to reflect on my own life, yet again. I said to myself, “Self,” and myself said, “Huh.” “We’ve got to get back to being thankful. It will do wonders for your mental health.” So that’s exactly what I’m going to do. Starting out, for the next week, I am going to share with you three positive, uplifting occurrences from my day, and I encourage you to do the same!
08 Apr 2019
- My son woke up happy and healthy.
- I was able to finally meet my across-the-street neighbor.
- The sun was shining and the wind provided a cool breeze.
09 Apr 2019
- I got to vent to my new library friend.
- My bank put an immediate stop to a fraudulent charge.
- Our neighbor was able to help my husband with his flat tire.
- Dinner was delicious!
- Our lost dog posters haven’t been taken down by neighbors or city officials.
- My son 💙
10 Apr 2019-Today’s especially tough because today we found out that our fur-daughter, Kizzy, was hit by a car and didn’t survive.
- We longer have to worry about Kizzy’s safety.
- We tried a new soul food spot. 3/5 stars.
- My mom answered when I needed to cry to someone about Kizzy.
- The lady at the Animal Control office was super helpful, tactful, understanding, and empathetic.
11 Apr 19
- I was able to put gas in my car.
- I got to see my little nephew.
- Someone let me turn in front of them during rush hour traffic.
- I “discovered” a new park in my city.
12 Apr 19
- I got to see Kizzy which provided some closure.
- I found and watched the video that Husband made for me before he deployed.
- Poppy slept until 9:50 am.
- My LS sent me a memorial keychain and it arrived today.
- Husband cooked dinner and it was delicious.
13 Apr 19
- I woke up with all five senses in perfect working condition.
- My son got his first pair of uncle sandals.
- I got to take an uninterrupted bubble bath.
14 Apr 19
- I’m finally starting to truly accept Kizzy’s death. Today’s the first day I didn’t have to catch myself calling her name, to come eat dropped food for example.
- Walmart’s lines weren’t long, so I was in and out in about 20 minutes.
- My husband is so incredibly patient and supportive.
- I’m thankful for the ability and resources to be able to purchase personal care items.
16 Apr 19-I forgot yesterday, but I did keep the promise of updating this for a week.
- I am grateful that I was able to eat a homecooked meal.
- My car safely carried my son and me around town.
- SNL provided me with some much-needed laughs.
- I have the know-how and the ability to walk, see, hear, smell, taste, touch, and love.
20 Apr 19
- I’m so grateful that I have money to get my oil changed.
- I’m grateful for a husband who recognizes when I need alone time.
- I’m thankful for my eyesight to be able to see my handsome son.
28 Apr 19
- I’m grateful for reliable transportation.
- I’m so grateful for my parents.
- I’m thankful that I was able to spend a few hours with my parents during my mom’s birthday weekend.
- I’m grateful Poppy got to see his Bibi and Papa.
- I’m so blessed to have my vision and hearing.
08 May 19
- I’m thankful for a supportive husband.
- I’m thankful for insurance.
- I’m thankful for all of the flowers, trees, grass, herbs, and succulents in the world.
- I’m so blessed to have a husband that can cook.
- I’m glad that today was sunny and Poppy and I got to enjoy Her light.
- I’m thankful for my sense of smell.
- I’m glad that Wal-Mart had what I needed and the express check out was quick.
This evening has been extremely difficult, but I’m thankful to be here in this body, on this Earth, living this life.
21 May 19
- I’m thankful for Old Bay seasoning. Seriously! Have you tried it?
- I’m so glad that our neighbors are friendly and willing to help.
- I’m thankful for a supportive husband.
- I’m thankful for a beautiful, smart son.
It’s been such a long time since I’ve added to this post! How about some recent gratitude?!
11 Sep 19
- I am so thankful that my son is on a schedule, naps during the day, AND sleeps through the night!
- I had the means to pay off my credit card.
- I FINALLY got to really visit California and I get to go back very soon!
18 Sep 19
- I’m so glad that I have a husband who listens.
- Two words: SALMON. CROQUETTE!
- We get to take at least two more vacations this year!
04 Jan 20
- I am grateful for a husband who gets up and cooks breakfast every weekend morning.
- Free websites that allow you to sharpen you skillset
- My son sleeping until 9:00am today!!
To be continued…